S U M M A R Y
Digital strategist, business partner and team leader with over 15 years of hands-on and management experience in the design, development and execution of innovative interactive user experiences across platforms and industries. Successfully led and inspired cross-functional teams in delivering consummate digital solutions and actionable results against clear strategic objectives based on the synthesis of user-centered research and the application of best practices for interaction design, information architecture and usability engineering. Fostered the growth of practice groups and contributed to the creation of new service offerings.
P R O F E S S I O N A L E X P E R I E N C E
Hamilton, NJ (2012-present)Sparta Systems - Director, User Experience
Enterprise Quality Management Software Solutions
For a $90MM enterprise software company, led the establishment of an internal User Experience function within the Product Strategy & Management organization, in support of a business-wide strategic goal of improving the overall quality of the user experience of Sparta’s suite of enterprise application offerings. Responsible for developing the strategic vision for a future-state enhanced user experience by identifying and prioritizing usability enhancement opportunities and overseeing user interface design activities in support of new features. Pioneered the inclusion of user-centered design (UCD) methods and techniques into the product management lifecycle.
New York, NY (2011-2012)EMC2Consulting - Practice Lead, Digital Strategy
Global Technology Strategy and Management Consulting Services
Senior leader for a Digital Strategy practice group serving as an internal interactive agency and service line within EMC’s global consulting services division delivering innovative experience design and solution development services. Responsible for leading teams in successful delivery across multiple projects, for business development support and for operationalizing the group’s resource management.
New York, NY (2006-2011)Pfizer, Inc. - Senior Manager, User Experience
One of the founding members of a newly-formed internal User Experience team brought into the Worldwide Technology organization to help institutionalize user-centric IT solution lifecycle methodologies and practices and to improve the overall quality of the user experience for employees, partners, patients and healthcare practitioners alike.
· Lead UXD role on a $20MM program to enable customer-focused, multi-channel, closed-loop marketing, involved in defining the Customer Experience core value propositions and championing efforts to measure ROI and other qualitative KPIs
· Managed UXD contract resources and vendors, including hiring, writing RFPs, reviewing proposals, negotiating SOWs, monitoring budgets and invoicing
· Developed a portable usability lab service offering and led usability testing efforts
· Championed efforts to establish a user experience practice, establish the User Experience Specialist as a global IT role and contributed to the definition of Enterprise SLC processes for UXD
· Regularly evangelized and educated as to the nature and value of User Experience Design and contributed to extending the reach of the group across department teams by mentoring others on best practices
· Supported Team Leader in the creation of strategic plans and engagement models
· Pioneered the use of a standard measure of user satisfaction as part of post-deployment success metrics
· Led the team of UXDs and BAs on a $5MM project to develop business requirements and specifications for a new system to be used for automating a largely manual workflow process for creation of marketing materials
Strategic IT Consulting
Led both strategic and tactical user experience
activities on client engagements across life sciences, telecommunications and
· Championed efforts to establish a user experience design community and practice
· Contributed to the development of a User Adoption Management offering
· Led the user research and interaction design efforts for a multi-year multi-million dollar transformational project to develop an employee portal for Client Associates in branch offices for a Fortune 100 financial services firm
· Key member of the team that helped define an Internet E-Commerce strategy for one of the world's largest telecommunications companies in a post-merger environment
Cranford, NJ (2001 – 2005) OmniModis Design/OX Interactive, LLC - Chief Experience Architect
Executive in charge of leading customer experience consulting activities for an omnimedia experience design firm. Sold and managed engagements to help clients define and deliver multi-channel, brand-enhancing experiences to target constituencies. Employed a user-centric delivery methodology that included activities spanning from customer segmentation and competitive analysis, to design critiques and usability validation, to interaction design and information architecture.
· Co-led and managed internal team and external vendors in the re-design of the online presence for a multi-million dollar jewelry manufacturer, including improving SEO and incorporating site analytics.
· Successfully led a team of user experience designers in translating business requirements into customer experience strategy and UI design specifications on a large-scale, complete Web site re-design effort for a Fortune 500 retail brokerage and diversified financial services firm.
· Co-led efforts to define the user experience strategy for an enterprise-wide intranet portal at one of the world's largest insurance firms, resulting in the creation of a UI design that received high marks on quality.
· Created brand and relationship strategies and guidelines for a new telecommunications manufacturing company spun out from a major industry player. Successfully translated brand identity and messaging into executions across channels, including online, print, video and environmental design.
· For the design and development of an enterprise intranet portal at the world’s largest insurance brokerage (partly as a FTE), facilitated the definition of requirements, co-led the establishment of a user experience strategy, designed all UI specifications and was responsible for coding the front-end in an environment utilizing WebSphere / J2EE / JSP / JSTL / XSLT, which received a quality rating of 9.5 out of 10 on user satisfaction.
Team leader and project manager responsible for providing strategic consulting expertise to Global 2000 clients, particularly in the financial services industry. Worked with cross-departmental client teams to define interaction design, information architecture, usability engineering and customer relationship strategies. Responsibilities included account, project and team management, effort scoping, contributing to business development and sales, facilitating requirements gathering, use-case development, interface specification, application prototyping and user acceptance testing.
· Guided project team to define core competencies, skill requirements and organizational structure necessary to grow an interaction design and information architecture practice more than 500% over an 18-month period to satisfy market demand and increase service capacity.
· Mentored and coached junior colleagues to support corporate culture of individual growth and empowerment and to promote knowledge sharing.
· Authored and contributed to the development of process and methodology documentation and deliverable execution toolkits to expedite new hire orientation and increase delivery productivity.
· Initiated the development of a qualitative assessment service offering that led to $2MM in sales.
· Designed a data visualization method that is currently under application for patent.
Online high net worth retail investor products and services
As manager of the Web site interface design and development team, oversaw a group of Web programmers and graphic artists in the rapid design and development of the client-facing aesthetics and functionality of a financial-services e-commerce Web site. Responsibilities included hiring of staff, site content information architecture, design and creation of 'look-and-feel', usability heuristic analysis, development of content-management strategy and procedures.
· Developed a functional prototype for demonstration that led to a major online brokerage offering to acquire the company for $300MM.
New York, NY (1997 - 1999) J.P. Morgan - Web Design and Development Consultant
Led the work to completely design, develop and deploy three corporate intranet websites from scratch, as an integral part of several teams. Responsibilities included information architecture, co-ordination of content submission from business groups, graphical and textual content creation and editing, http-server maintenance.
· Collaborated on the team that became LabMorgan, J.P. Morgan’s venture incubator.
New York, NY (1995 - 1997)Stanford Coaching, Inc. - Marketing Manager
New York, NY (1993 - 1995) Berwyn Productions - Asst. Video Editor and
Yale University, New
Course work included: Concentration in early childhood and cognitive development, statistical analysis.
Queen Mary’s, University
of London, England
BUSINESS: Project Management, Team Leadership, Group Facilitation, Business Development,
Requirements Elicitation and Definition, User-Centered Design, Lean UX
Why Customers Hate Your Website , Ecommerce Times, 2.15.06